weekly Susiejb 52 in 2016 Celebrate

Name
susie
Edit My Images
Yes
I thought it was time I got started, I'm really looking forward to another year, I can't believe this is year three for me ! Everyone has been so helpful and encouraging for the past two, this is such an nice thread to take part in.

I've set a few personal challenges to myself for this year ....one is to master white backgrounds, I always wimp out and do black, also I want to do more outside shots, I live in a beautiful location but I feel I don't always capitalise on it. Also I've bought the grandsons season tickets to the local zoo so maybe some animal shots too...I'm learning fom Cobra :D

In fact I can't wait to get started :) roll on the first topic ....

Thanks DK ....it's good to be here.

Starting off at week Zero I've chosen this one, I mentioned to my son that the topic was old and he thought of this ship moored next to Middlesbrough Football Club. He said it looked very spooky on a dull day, but yesterday was glorious sunshine so I didn't get the spooky effect but it's still an impressive sight.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Hi Susie, I remember the furor when they said it was going to be left there but it makes a lovely picture in the (very unusual) sunshine with the reflection on the Tees. Nice start to 2016 (y)

Blimey, that ship must be an urbexers paradise!
It sells the topic really well. As others have said, the first shot has some great reflections and shows the size, but the second shot, being closer in more detail really shows how immense the ship actually is.
Great spot by your son :)

Hi Susie. I enjoyed your submissions in 2014 and I'm sure this year will be no different. Great choice of subject, with both pictures nicely exposed. The orange rust effortlessly screams old to the viewer. Nice work!

Cracking image Susie it works well, plenty of detail in there too (y)

Hi Susie, nice bit of rust there it looks rather lovely colour wise I am glad it was a bright day as it helped with the colour

Hi Susie, I remember the furor when they said it was going to be left there but it makes a lovely picture in the (very unusual) sunshine with the reflection on the Tees. Nice start to 2016 (y)

Thanks Jill .....it certainly was a beautiful day there yesterday.

I love the second image Susie, you've caught the size and detail in this rusting behemoth really well.

Thanks David, it's quite a stunning sight.

Blimey, that ship must be an urbexers paradise!
It sells the topic really well. As others have said, the first shot has some great reflections and shows the size, but the second shot, being closer in more detail really shows how immense the ship actually is.
Great spot by your son :)

Thanks Tim ....yes it's really fascinating ....it's a shame I don't have chance to go back on my own and spend more time there ..... they were all sat in the car telling me to hurry up !

Hi Susie. I enjoyed your submissions in 2014 and I'm sure this year will be no different. Great choice of subject, with both pictures nicely exposed. The orange rust effortlessly screams old to the viewer. Nice work!

Thanks Jason ....my aim is more outdoor shots and finding that was the perfect start.

Cracking image Susie it works well, plenty of detail in there too (y)

Thank yoooo .....glad you like it :)

Hi Susie, nice bit of rust there it looks rather lovely colour wise I am glad it was a bright day as it helped with the colour

Thanks Allan ....I was really pleased with how the colours came out.

Damn that sure looks old even if not done spookily !!!

I think the bright rust in that sunlight has done the job to show an unkept ship... nice angle too rather than straight side on, Like it :)

Thanks DK ... I tried a few angles but couldn't quite get the whole ship in.

Hi Susie good to see you're carrying on in 2016 too.

Like the first shot, I feel the rusty steel really gives that aged and old image to it.

Hi Stan ....yes another years torture ....I mean challenge :)

Well done Susie, nicely on theme and a very interesting photo, lots of interest

Hi. Loving the contrast between the colours in first shot.
Good photo of a rusty old boat ( or should that be ship?)

the contrasting colours in the first shot are brilliant, especially with the reflection on the water :)

Well done Susie, nicely on theme and a very interesting photo, lots of interest

Thank Chris ....it was a good find wasn't it.

Hi. Loving the contrast between the colours in first shot.
Good photo of a rusty old boat ( or should that be ship?)

Thanks Anita ....I think I was really lucky to catch that reflection ....not sure about boats and ships o_O

the contrasting colours in the first shot are brilliant, especially with the reflection on the water :)

Hi Sam ....it's good to see you hopping in, and I'm pleased you like the shot :)

Last edited:
Both images spot on in there own right. Almost have a mediterranean feel with the colours. You would think they were taken on a blazing hot summers day.

Hi Susie. Wow - amazing colour from the rust on that wreck - looks massive too. Great advice for old. :clap:

Both images spot on in there own right. Almost have a mediterranean feel with the colours. You would think they were taken on a blazing hot summers day.

Hi Susie. Wow - amazing colour from the rust on that wreck - looks massive too. Great advice for old. :clap:

Thank you both, I was surprised myself how well the colour came out.

Nice shot, gives a real sense of the size of the ship. Like the colours and reflection in the first one, would be interesting to see a spooky version but this works really well.

Love industrial stuff like this, particularly with the warmth of the sun / corrosion evident.

I expected this to be your week 1 submission which would have been well on topic also! Excellent start :)

Wonderful colours in both shots but the colours in the first one are amazing! :)

Nice shot, gives a real sense of the size of the ship. Like the colours and reflection in the first one, would be interesting to see a spooky version but this works really well.

Love industrial stuff like this, particularly with the warmth of the sun / corrosion evident.

I expected this to be your week 1 submission which would have been well on topic also! Excellent start :)

Amazing colour you have caught there, even if it wasn't the effect your were hoping for :)

Wonderful colours in both shots but the colours in the first one are amazing! :)

Thank you all, much appreciated, I must admit I really like that one too.

Hello again susie m8

Old and dilapidated she is, the red in #1 is blinding.

Metal .... beautiful nib against that black BG (y) very shallow dof I think that point may be slightly OOF. o_O

..... and we're off. Shaeffer - I used to have one, quality pen. I do like the design on yours. Love that bright shiny bit of metal against that dark bg - stands out a treat. :clap:

Hello again susie m8

Old and dilapidated she is, the red in #1 is blinding.

Metal .... beautiful nib against that black BG (y) very shallow dof I think that point may be slightly OOF. o_O

Old and dilapidated ...I thought you meant me :) good to see you back d00d.

Mmmmm the pen ....I tried really hard to get the Sheaffer in focus, was using my Raynox so it was a bit tight.

Really nice pic, love the darkness with the shinning pen :)

Nice subject for old,, the rust really gives it punch.

Nice pen, does look a bit soft, the thing is with the raynox it will not make an image like this sharp, what were the setting with raynox?

It is a nice lmage tho:)

Lovely photograph. The shiny metal against the dark background looks amazing.:clap: Liz

Hi Susie, now thats excellent. brilliantly set up and the lighting is spot on. Good luck completing your 52

Another excellent image, Susie. Love the lighting and reflection off the nib and am afraid I can't criticise at all in this case! :)

Back